Thursday, June 27, 2013

Ruben Blades

Lugo and Ruben Blades.

I first had the honor of working with this truly incredible Legend of Latin Music in Paul Simon's Capeman.  A Lawyer, Actor and Politician this Panamanian Singer and Songwriter has influenced me in so many powerful ways.   His voice is so versatile and fluid and commands you to the Dance.  Ruben's friend Quincy Jones came to see him in Capeman and Quincy came back stage to meet us.  Everyone in the cast gathered around Quincy then suddenly Ruben turned around and snatched me by the shoulders from behind and said loudly "This guy, this guy needs a record deal." and flung me into Quincy.  I landed right in Quincy's arms!  everyone Erupted in laughter and cheers.  Ruben was always playing tricks and making light of everything.  He was always available and eager to listen to you, cheer you up and make you feel loved. Ruben met his wife the beautiful Luba Mason an amazing Vocalist and Actor who played one of the mothers in the Capeman.  I am so overjoyed that both Ruben and Luba are now my NYC Neighbors in Chelsea.  I see Ruben all the time.  He is like my Show business Father.



No comments:

Post a Comment